PDA

View Full Version : Snow on Teide

dima.safr
20-12-2013, 14:46
Hi, My girlfrind and I are planning to climb Teide and pico Viejo in January. It'd be great to know what the snow situation is like on Teide, dose it look snow cupped or totally covered? Also if anyone has any experience of doing Montana Blanca -Teide Viejo in winter please share. It'd be great to know what the conditions are like, if we need ice axe+crampons, and what are the most treacherous parts of the route.

Any informatiuon will be greatly appreciated!

junglejim
20-12-2013, 16:05
You will need a permit to climb the Volcano .

http://www.todotenerife.es/en/article/show/5044/08-permiso-de-acceso-al-pico-del-teide-1

Some photos here from last few weeks
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?24247-Snow-on-Teide/page3&highlight=teide

pico Viejo a commentary

http://www.teneriferambler.com/2012/05/pico-viejo-climbing-tenerifes-second.html

dima.safr
23-12-2013, 09:56
Thanks, but I asume rangers are only there when cable car is running. is this the case? I heard they shut it down everytime when it snows, hence there is no one to permit/deny access. Besides we will probably stay at the refuge, hence no advanced permit is required. I'm just thinking what equipment I need to take if any.

junglejim
23-12-2013, 11:36
You obviously have no intention of obeying the rules but will expect someone to risk their lives to rescue you if you get in bother , selfish !

dima.safr
23-12-2013, 11:52
junglejim, you sound a bit over dramatic. Firstly, the official rule is that if you stay in the refugio Altavista than no permit is required. Secondly, cablecar being operational (if that is the only time the rangers are on duty?) has little to do with actual conditions on the mountain/state of the trail. And lastly, the most important rule for any mountain is to go well equiped, prepared and know when to turn around! If people followed that rule alone they would avoid majority of situations when they put their and others' lives at risk.
Having a summit Permit won't save your live and won't prevent calling for rescue, having the right skills, kit and judjment may just do that.

karinagal
23-12-2013, 12:58
Even the most skilled and experienced of climbers can come to grief. If the rangers/authorities have closed the cable car and access to the summit, they will do so out of concern for the safety of those who would attend. Therefore JJ's comments are not too wide of the mark. If you get into trouble, there will be no one on hand to assist you immediately...

dima.safr
23-12-2013, 13:09
Fair point - anyone can get in trouble, however, if I understand this correctly the park wardens are generally not there before 9am, and this is the only time when the hikers who stay in the refugio are allowed to summit. Hence, can't really count on their immediate presence anyway.
I'm not planning on braking any rules and endengering myself or others. My origional post was about proper gear, conditions and any personal expirience in winter, so we are as prrepared as possible. Any information about the above is greatly appreciated.

bonitatime
25-12-2013, 14:14
I have friends who were caught up there in a storms recently and I can asure you its not fun when The weather turns bad
Please be careful